Monday, July 20, 2009

Stories.

I've been reading up on a lot of novels lately. A lot of them military sci-fi, but as my favorite author (GRRM) would say about settings, they are just dressing.

Another recent study that I've been making lately is concerning population. Particularly about how population affects technology and culture. I know there are some points of views who would want to attribute the "special" unique and originality of Philippine Culture as something beyond the grasp of science. Still the hard science I've read on the matter really makes me think about how I would write my first Mahadlika novel. Specifically a short story and the setting in general.

Fortunately most of the novels I've been reading have female captains or leading ladies. Particularly how to portray them with as much justice and authenticity.

A few things I've considered that will grossly affect the appreciation of my writing about Mahadlika is the fact that I'm a secularist point of view. Particularly that I'm very neutral when it comes to religion, despite the fact that I am going to write about characters very deeply religous. Some would say a secularist would be the faithless type to get all wrong and come out of it without the best appreciation.

Which puts me to consider that If I were to write it, my audience isnt going to be Filipinos. Its not that I'm being anti-Filipino, or elitist in some way but it is because I want to be more true and to have a more universal perspective of things that many would say is exclusively a ethnocentric experience. Especially given my very sad encounters with reactionaries who would not give a time of day to even read up on the matters of Philippine history before making an opinion- so easily manipulated and twisted.

I have a few more writing projects I just want to get out of my way and I've resolved that by 2010 I will have a short story about Mahadlika in the works. I plan to spend most of my free time, beyond my simulationist exercises and family obligations to write about a story that has been wanting to get out that talks about being born human in a world much like the philippines as it is today and the time of Empire. To imagine or re-imagine the beauty of such simple times but realize the complexities that lay beneath it.

Reading so much about Politics, Families, life, spirituality, faith and science I've come with a clearer picture of how I would tell mahadlika best. I already have the outline, I will just have to fill it up.

No comments: